Credit card theft is not taken lightly in the state of Georgia. Credit card theft carries heavy penalties. To learn more about the different types of credit card fraud, continue reading and contact our Cobb County criminal defense lawyer.
What are the different types of credit card fraud?
There are three main types of fraud in Georgia. These types of fraud include financial transaction card theft, forgery of a financial transaction card, and financial transaction card fraud:
Financial Transaction Card Theft
Financial Transaction Card Fraud is defined as:
- Buying a lost, stolen, or forged credit or debit card
- Taking a credit or debit card from the cardholder without their consent
- Possessing two or more lost, stolen, or forged cards within one year
- Knowingly possessing a credit or debit card that has been lost or misdelivered with the intent to use or sell it
- Knowingly possessing a stolen credit or debit card without the owners’ consent with the intent to use or sell it
Forgery of a Financial Transaction Card
Forgery of a Financial Transaction Card is defined as:
- Falsely encoding a credit or debit card with the intent to sell or use the card
- Creating a false credit or debit card with the intent to sell or use the card
Financial Transaction Card Fraud
Financial Transaction Card Theft is defined as:
- Using a credit or debit card without permission with the intent to defraud
- Employees and business owners who accept fraudulent debit or credit cards, or falsify a credit card receipt
What are the consequences of credit card fraud?
The following are the potential consequences of credit card fraud depending on the crime:
- Financial Transaction Card Theft is considered a felony and may be punishable by up to $5,000 in fines and 1-3 years in prison.
- Forgery of a Financial Transaction Card is considered a felony that is punishable by up to $5,000 in fines and 1-3 years in prison.
- Financial Transaction Card Fraud is considered a felony. The charges will depend on the amount that has been stolen.
You will require the assistance of an experienced Cobb County criminal defense lawyer if you are facing charges for credit card fraud in Georgia. Our legal team is prepared to advocate for you each step of the way. Give our firm a call today to learn how we will explore all possible avenues of defense on your behalf. We are here to help.
Contact Our Experienced Firm
Miller Law Practice supports clients through a variety of legal matters. If you are facing criminal charges, or have been injured due to the negligence of another party, our firm will fight for you. Contact Miller Law Practice today.